Friday, September 29, 2006

Goodfellas


This past Wednesday, my wife and I celebrated our 9th wedding anniversary. I sent her roses and cooked her favorite dish, lamb tenderloin marinated in rosemary and garlic and served with mint jelly. It was surely better than anything we would have gotten in a restaurant where we live. (And I'll try not to pull a muscle while I pat myself on the back.)

But that's not what I wanted to talk about.

I am amazed that out of all of the guys that I grew up with, only two have been divorced. Two out of 20 guys (including me). And both of those were extraordinary circumstances that were caused by the wife! And both have remarried and are very happy.

If you'd have asked me 15 years ago what percentage of my buddies marriages would end in divorce, I would have said 60-70%. And that was only if any of us actually got married in the first place! (Yes, two of the 20 are still single.)

Not that these guys are bad guys or anything. In fact, it's just the opposite. They're all really good guys. They liked to drink beers, chase girls and play and watch sports, none of which are conducive to marriage.

Who would have guessed that they all turned out to be good family men?

Have a great weekend! I am having a barbecue to celebrate my son's dedication to God and my family is coming up from NJ. It should be a blast!

Comments:
Congrats Flounder on the 9 years. That's fantastic. I'm very impressed only two have divorced. My wife and I know many couples that are currently in the process of divorce or who are recently separated. It's pretty sad. You're a good role model. Enjoy your weekend.
 
I just had a sub.
 
congrats to you....girl here don't do any lamb shit....ugggghhhh...i don't care for anything other than yard birds!!! mint jelly? WTF is that? You might have to mail me some... :)
 
Congrats ... and, mmmmm ... lamb & mint jelly. My mother use to do that up. I haven't had it for years.

As for the guys ... what beer are you guys drinking? Maybe they should use this in their marketing.
 
Egan - I am not a role model. (Damn I sound like Charles Barkley!) I've just been blessed with a very, very patient wife.

Brooke - I had a White House special on Saturday and pulled pork all weekend long. Scoreboard Biootch!

Greta - Note that I said I made my wife the lamb. I had sirloin tips.

Bill - Apparently none of us are drinking enough beer otherwise there would be quite a few more marriage fatalities.
 
9 years. Wow. Congrats Floundey.
 
congrats on 9 years! you need to have a talk with my dad about doing more than bringing flowers...seriously
 
You are Charles Barkely.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]