Friday, August 11, 2006

Flea Infested Friday

The title of this post explains why I haven't been posting lately. My finished basement is completely infested with fleas right now, and I have been trying to run 'em out for the past three days. I've tried everything; powders, foggers, napalm. Nothing is working. I think that it only makes them more aggressive.

The origin of said infestation is those damn cats. The ones that I never, ever wanted but my wife had to have. Then, after she became pregnant, wanted nothing to do with them. I was stuck taking care of them, and truthfully, I didn't do anything more than give them water and food and change the litter.

I never really paid much attention to them, but the other day, when we got back from NJ, I noticed that one was covered with fleas. I looked down at my feet, and my socks were completely covered with fleas and they were making their way north. It was like a scene out of a bad horror movie, minus the scream.

I made my way upstairs and jumped into the shower. I took the dogs and cats to the groomer, checked into a motel, and commenced bombing. Three separate times over two days, a total of 36 foggers and the basement is still absolutely uninhabitable. The main level of the house is clear, but it is only a matter of time until those little bastards make their way up here. Hence, I called The Wolf (aka Orkin Man).

The basement, once finished and now in "transition" between demo and renovation, will be occupying all of my time this and every forseeable weekend. The cats have found a new home at the no-kill shelter. The dogs have been flea dipped and shaven down and are very happy now. Jake and Mrs Flounder are getting tired of a motel room, and will be very happy to get back into the house tonight.

So this whole thing has cost me lots of money and sleep, and it's not quite over yet. Hopefully your weekend will be better than mine. I'll report back on Monday.

Comments:
i HATE CATS AND WOULD BOOT THEM RIGHT OUT IN THE STREET OR TO THE SHELTER....especially with jake around...going...going....gone!!
 
Eek. NW Puppy had them... but those advantage drops got rid of them within a month. THat being said, our whole hosue is HW Floors, which makes a HUGE difference.
 
Greta - They're gone, and hopefully the fleas will be as well. The Wolf says it will be so.

Mac - It really is. I feel like Schleprock lately.

NG - I have the hardwoods too, but they are in the basement where the cats have been climbing all over the old couches and clothes. Needless to say, all that shit is going in the dumpster just as soon as I can get one delived to the house.
 
I hate cats. Kittens are cute but no way to cats..........

Give me a dog anyday.

Hope it gets better!!!
 
I like my cat, but I don't think I would go out of my way to ever have a cat.

That said, you should use some kind of flea shit on them, like defend, once a month...unless they are indoor cats...in which case, yea..no clue how they got fleas.

Hope the orkin man does a smashing job!
 
Brooke - Schleprock is just the best obscure cartoon reference ever!

KJ - I've got the dogs too!

E - The cats are gone and the dogs have their protection now. The Orkin man rocked and the house is clear, though I still feel like I have something crawling all over me.
 
Ohhhh fleas suck the big one!! Gawd I feel for you.

It's Shannon, I moved Flounder, when you get some time add me again, please? I know you're busy with your beautiful baby boy and house projects so just relink me when you can!! Thanks =)
 
cats are good for TRACTION!
 
Shannon - Done deal!

mgc - Traction? That is hysterical!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]