Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Yaaawwwwwwwwwnnnnnnn

I am exhausted. You see, I was watching the World Cup yesterday with my emotions cut in two. I am of German and Italian heritage, so I was elated and crushed when Italy defeated the host German team yesterday in overtime of their semifinal match.

Damn. I can't even type that with a straight face. Soccer sucks! I mean, what kind of "sport" can have TWO goals scored in overtime? Geez!

All joking aside, I reconstructed part of a rock wall and planted a tree in front of my house yesterday, and the Advil just isn't cutting it. It wasn't bad enough that the rocks weighed a freaking ton, but there were these giant weeds that I pulled out that had root systems that you would not believe. They were thick, deep and intermingled together. In fact, I hadn't really set out to rebuild the wall, but the roots went under it and it partially collapsed when I was removing them.

I also relocated the sign post by the driveway. Have you ever tried to dig a hole with a post-hole digger in New England? It is an exercise in futility if ever there was one. The hole wound up being about a foot in diameter so that I could dig out all the freaking rocks in there.

So I'm exhausted, my back and knees hurt, and I've got like 15 skeeter bites that are making me itch my ass off. In the immortal words of Garth Brooks, I'm much too young to feel this damn old.

But there was a bright spot from yesterday. My wife was holding my son and watching me move rocks around. As I was tossing them into each other, I heard a little giggle come from my son. I looked up at him, then tossed another rock. He giggled again, this time a little more. Then I took a big rock and threw it into the pile, making a huge crashing sound.

He lost it. It was an absolute belly laugh for about 20 seconds.

His first real laugh, and it was the cutest thing I have ever seen. My wife could only hear it, though. She missed that look on his face that I will never forget. I feel a little bad for her, and I told her so. She told me that laugh was just for me, and that there will be other things just for her. She said that I shouldn't feel bad about it, so I won't. How cool is she?

Anyway, hope you all had a great holiday and that you still have all your digits intact. C-ya!

Comments:
my guess is the french will win. *sigh* depressing
 
Think about it...she spends all day with him. She probably spends more time with him than you do. That's just the way things are. She's bound to see things you won't see. But, yeah, I think that just by being married and putting up with you makes her a cool lady.
 
ummm excuse me..but i was wondering when are we going to see some updated pictures of this baby....you know it has been awhile and sistah here wants to oodle over someone else's baby....

umm thanks and i will be looking forward to them like TODAY!!!

BTW you wife is the coolest
 
Buttah - It's more likely that the French will surrender.

BV - No, putting up with me makes her a patient woman.

Shannon - I'm thinking that the ice would be better surrounding some beers while I mount the couch tonight.

Greta - I need to take some tonight of the little stinker. He is getting huge, bigger than most 8-month olds.
 
What you wrote about your son is the sweetest thing I have ever read. I know the feeling so I guess my relation to it melts me.
 
What you wrote about your son is the sweetest thing I have ever read. I know the feeling so I guess my relation to it melts me.
 
My brand new little nephew barfed on me the other day. He loves me best.
 
A friend of mind used to keep a daily diary of every new thing his daughter did. I thought it was unbelievable! But sweet.
 
I'm all for Italy. In this part of the world, they provide better food, have better parties and the wine is to die for. And they gave us Fernando Pisani.

I can't believe you don't have your son moving rocks and yanking weeds yet. What is the point of children if not to do these things for us?

I speak as a non-parent, of course. Perhaps there are factors I've not considered.
 
Blonde - We waited a long time for the little guy, so I am constantly amazed at the things he does.

Brooke - That is the universal baby symbol for love, no doubt.

CB - I keep a journal of some of the things that he does, but it's mostly just the "firsts" and how they make me feel.

Bill - If he uses all of his energy up moving rocks, then he'll be too tuckered out to mow the lawn. Duh!
 
Pics!!! Pics!!!!
 
this is a great story. my youngest is now 13, but i remember those firsts like yesterday. also, that was one of the coolest gestures of love for you, from your wife that i have heard in a very long time. very cool!
 
And you call me a lazy blogger.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]