Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Nothing ventured, nothing gained

I love Memorial Day Weekend. Yeah, sure, there are the obvious reasons like cookouts, it being the "official" start to summer and a paid holiday from work, but I have another reason that I like it. World War II movies. I love old (and new) war movies.

This past weekend, I watched all or parts of Saving Private Ryan, Bridge on the River Kwai, A Bridge Too Far, In Harm's Way, The Great Escape, The Longest Day, Sands of Iwo Jima, and all 11 episodes of Band of Brothers. If you haven't ever seen Band of Brothers, I highly, highly recommend watching it.

Which brings me to my next thought: I own almost all of these movies on DVD, but I get really happy when they are on television. Why is that? I have the same question regarding music. I have a ton of CDs, but there is a special excitement that I feel when I hear a song on the radio that I really like, even if I have that CD. Am I alone on this, or do some of you feel the same way?

Moving along, I did a little BBQ practice this past weekend and learned that it makes a huge difference when I brine chicken for about 10 hours before smoking it. It adds tenderness and a little flavor as well.

I have also come to the determination that I am either the worst or the best neighbor in the world, depending on what you like in a neighbor. If you like a friendly guy that stops by to say hello, waves to you while you are mowing the grass and maintains his yard, then you would hate me as a neighbor.

People moved in across the street from us back in February and we still haven't met them. Sure, we've waved to them as they have pulled out of their driveway, but there has been no formal introduction whatsoever. And my lawn? It was knee high before I cut it this past weekend, but I have a good excuse. The deck belt on my tractor was broken, and I simply didn't have time to fix it until the other day.

But here is the good part of having me as a neighbor. I will never bother you. Ever. I'm sort of like Melvin Udall in As Good As It Gets. I don't want to know my neighbors any more than I have to. I just want to coexist.

After re-reading this post, I have come to the determination that I am a lazy, antisocial hermit.

Yeah, that sounds about right.

Comments:
Have you checked out Jarhead? We watched it a few weeks ago. Not a WWII movie, but still perdy good.
 
No, you're not alone. I like when I hear one of my favorite songs on the radio. It doesn't happen that often, so when it does...it's a real treat.
 
I'm more excited than ever to meet for beers.
 
haha, yep I'm the same way about movies on tv...i.e. I love Gladiator and own it of course, but whenever it comes on t.v. even when TNT plays it back to back...I'm there!!!

Yep neighbor thing, dont know too many of mine either - they annoy me in each of their own little ways :p ha
 
Oh, shame on you. You didn't mention Patton! One of my favourite, if not my number one favourite, war movies. They just released a special edition of it so I picked it up and watched it again this weekend. (Good price too, for a 2 disc set.)

btw ... Patton is less about war and more about a fascinating character. (Though it is still a war movie.)
 
btw ... my second favourite would probably be Bridge on the River Kwai.
 
Sonya - I haven't seen it yet, but it's on my list.

BV - I guess that it makes us feel that way because it is unexpected.

Brooke - I promise that I will be a little more social-like over a bucket of Rocks!

Edee - Who really has time to be a good neighbor anymore? It's not all on my end either. They have this freaking Yellow Lab that they leave outdoors 24/7 whose barking wakes me up twice a week at 3:30am.

Tina - Wait for my signal, then unleash hell!

Bill - I didn't mention Patton because I didn't see it on tv last weekend. It is one of my all-time favorites as well. I don't know if ever there was a more deserving recipient of the best actor Oscar than George C. Scott in that role.

I didn't know about the newly released version, so thanks for the heads-up. I guess that I will be stopping by Best Buy on my way home today.
 
memorial weekend without bbq just...it seems to flawed.

maybe that's why i've had the weekend/week from hell....no bbq!
 
Nothing better than shit you don't expect. Like when someone come up from behind and.....
 
This is the most colorful blog I know.
 
da buttah - It's just wrong, really. Make up for it this weekend!

Mac - I don't want anyone coming up from behind me and doing anything. Save that shit for Egan!

Egan - Only when you come to visit.
 
I like A Bridge Too Far. It feeds into my distrust of authority.
 
In Sydney, you could live years next door to someone and never know them!
 
I love all those movies
 
Just stopped by to say hope you have a great weekend!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]