Friday, April 21, 2006

Part 4: If the Boat is a Rockin...

June 19, 2005 - Cruisin.

We boarded the Norwegian Majesty around 2pm and immediately went up on the deck for a few cocktails. It was an absolutely beautiful day and we thought that having a few drinks while soaking up the sun would be a good way to start our first vacation in three years.

As we pulled out of Boston Harbor, we watched the planes flying over us departing from Logan Airport. It was seemingly a perfect day. Eventually we went back to our cabin to unpack our bags and dress for dinner. That is when our little disagreement turned into a knock-down drag out that seemed to last for hours.

Honestly, I don't remember what we were arguing about, but I do remember it escalating to a point that it started to seem ridiculous. She knew it, and so did I.

Eventually, we just started laughing as we took a look at the big picture: We were off work for the next eight days. We had friends looking after our house and pets. We were on a beautiful cruise ship steaming toward Bermuda. No cell phones, no e-mail, no news programs. No family. No stress. We were alone.

I won't give you details of the following hour or so, but I will say this. It was probably the best sex that I have had in my entire life.

Period.

We eventually got dressed, went to dinner and continued our trip. It was truly a wonderful vacation, one that we will not soon forget. Especially since we brought home an unexpected souvenir.

My wife and I had been trying to have a baby for over 5 years. We tried everything, from old wives tales to modern science and nothing worked. We used countless ovulation test kits and had fertility tests performed on each of us. We stopped short of in vitro fertilization, but only because our finances wouldn't allow it.

Then, in April, we gave up. The doctors told us that there didn't seem to be anything wrong with either of us, so we just figured that maybe we weren't supposed to have a child. She quit using the Clomid, and I quit tracking her cycle. It just wasn't going to happen.

At the beginning of July, my wife wanted to take her best friend to a local vineyard for her birthday, but her period was a couple of days late, and she didn't want to drink until she knew for certain that she wasn't pregnant. She called me, and I stopped off at CVS and picked up yet another home pregnancy test.

I gave it to her, then sat down in front of the computer to check how my fantasy baseball team was doing. She went into the bathroom, and I concentrated on the computer. Truthfully, I'd forgotten why she went into the bathroom almost as soon as she left my sight. She had taken literally dozens of these things over the past five years and they all came back negative, so I didn't think twice about this one.

A few minutes later, she came out of the bathroom and said "Well, it's just what I thought."

I immediately went into my well-practiced compassionate husband routine. "It's OK honey. It'll happen…"

"I'm pregnant!"

"Huh? What? Really? Reallly! Oh my God, oh my God, oh my God!"

We sat there and cried together for about an hour. We thanked God over and over again. We started thinking of names, dreaming what it would be like when we actually meet this little person.

Amazing. Nothing short of amazing.

Though we had sex many more nights on that cruise, we are convinced that we conceived Jake on that first night. Ironically, June 19th was Father's Day. No shit!

Comments:
How is the little bambino????
 
PK - And de-stress we did! He really has been an incredible blessing.

NG - He is awesome. He loves to sit on the couch and watch the Red Sox games with me, and tomorrow night, will be watching the NHL playoffs.
 
That story gave me the chills. Beautiful.

It's fun to make up isn't it?
 
BV - Makin up is hard work. Har damn work I tell you.
 
TOFK - Get to work.

*****Slinky
 
hey now that's what i call doing it for fun...that happene dto ca couple i know...they kept trying and trying and then they started doing it for fun without thinking about pregnancy and BAM she was pregnanted
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]