Friday, April 07, 2006

Fired-Up Friday


Will this be a weekly thing? God I hope not, but I am really fired up right now.

I was driving in to work this morning, listening to sports talk as usual, when a commercial came on. I immediately flipped stations to the FM talk station and listened to Imus for a few minutes. He was interviewing John Kerry, so I thought that I'd listen to his election-losing ass for a few minutes while the commercials were on the other station, then switch back.

As he spoke, I found him to be much more "charming" than the Herman Munster that he was during the campaign. I actually almost agreed with him on a couple of points, then he casually said this: Compromise is the essence of democracy.

Is he serious? Compromise is the antithesis of democracy. Democracy is majority rule, and there is no compromise there. If 5 people are together and they want to go out to dinner, they may take a vote on where to go. If three want Chinese food and two want pizza, then it's going to be Moo Shu Pork and Shrimp Lo Mein for all. Period. They don't compromise and go to KFC.

Then the discussion turned to immigration and what to do with illegal aliens. When asked what to do with the 11 million illegals presently in this country, Kerry said the following, and I am paraphrasing:

Deporting these 11 million Americans would make them victims all over again.

Time out. Did he really have the audacity to call these illegal immigrants Americans? Last time I checked, only immigrants that have followed the proper channels for entering this country, waited the appropriate amount of time, passed the citizenship test and have taken the oath have the privilege of calling themselves Americans. Not these criminals.

Now let's look at the second part of that statement, make them victims again. First, why would they be victims if they are deported? They entered this country illegally, worked illegally, raised their families illegally, then were brought to justice and deported. Where is the victim part? If anything, the American tax payer is the victim.

And even if they were victims, saying that they are victims again means that they were victims in the first place. Exactly how were they victims? Because they had to trek across a hot desert to illegally enter this country? Because they paid some "mule" a ridiculous sum of money to help them illegally enter this great country? The same principal applies here. If they were injured or sickened, or taken advantage of by someone while engaging in an illegal action to enter this country, they can not be classified as victims. Look, if you break into my house and I shoot your ass, you are not a victim.

Look, contrary to popular belief, I am not a heartless person. I feel for people that live in poverty, and I respect that they want a better life. I've sponsored a child in Guatemala for the past few years, and am looking to go on a missions trip with my church in the next couple of years to meet her. But there is a proper way to gain access to the United States. Millions of American have done it throughout our history, and these people should do it as well.

Now it is clear why Kerry lost the election. It's not that the majority of Americans liked Bush, they simply couldn't sign on this kind of thinking. What frightens me is that 49 million people actually did vote for him.

Comments:
Go, boy with your rant. LOL! Glad you are paying attention to detail. I can never seem to follow along that long. I think I could be hyper active. LOL!

Have a good weekend!
 
I can't tell you just how much of a red-ass that gave me this morning. And all before I could get a second cup of coffee!
 
This is a political post right? Okay, I won't touch this one then.
 
I'm perplexed over this issue. I haven't given it the thought it deserves, so I won't comment.

As for majority rule, sure, you go out for Chinese. But if the Chinese food really sucks and makes everyone sick, they should try the pizza next time instead of continuing to eat the rotten Chinese.
 
Flounder, try to remember that you were fortunate enough to be born in this country and not some third-world nation where eating is a luxury. Is it their fault that they were born there and long for a better life for themselves? Do you have any idea what the immigration process entails? It needs to be changed. This country was founded on the backs of immigrants. Try to remember that.

As for compromise being the essence of democracy - fuckin A right. That's why we have a two party system. That's why we don't give the president ultimate power. That's why we do not live in a dictatorship - because there is compromise.

We can probably just agree to disagree on matters political. By the way, did you hear the one about the President and VP okaying leaks about national security to silence his opposition on the war in Iraq? Oh wait, that's not a joke. It really did happen.
 
BV - I missed you too baby. Welcome back!

Egan - This is not a political post. It is a rant.

Ubie - I always take pizza over Chinese, so I'm with you. And never, ever eat cold Chinese food. It is a breeding ground for bacteria.

Brooke - I wake up every morning and that God for living in this country. Though I agree that the immigration process needs to be changed, what is currently in place is the law of the land. And if people can't follow these laws, then they deserve to be brought to justice.

As for the compromise statement, I think that you are confusing the political process and pure democracy. The political process is give and take, but ultimately what is agreed upon is based on the majority decison. If there were 6 people in my example, and they were deadlocked at 3 for pizza and 3 for Chinese, perhaps they would compromise and go for steaks instead. But I guarantee that it would be a majority decision.

Regarding the "leak", I think that it is too early to see what actually happened. but if Bush leaked classified information for some agenda, then he should be impeached. If he simply declassified the information and had it released, as is the President's right, then I don't see a problem. We shall see.
 
Holy shit don't get me started on politics....especially the illegal immigrants...how the hell is one allowed to go picket out in front of the capital about what they are doing for OUR country when their asses don't even belong here in the first DAMN place....ooooooo you got me going now....
 
Hello. I am aware of you by your comments on Ubie's blog.

Democracy is defined as "government by majority rule, with recognition of the rights of the minority." In other words, compromise, just as John Kerry said.

Kerry did indeed lose the election, so I'm not going to argue his case here. I think the fact that Bush has the lowest approval ratings in the history of the presidency makes the argument for me.

Sorry for wasting space in your comments section.
 
Greta - Why doesn't the National Guard set up a perimeter around the protest areas and check IDs before letting people go. If they are here illegally, they could load them up on buses and return them to their countries right then and there. That's what I'd do.

YNH - First, thanks for stopping by. Your comments are never a waste of space. I think that you are confusing the political process and democracy like Brooke did, so see my comment on that above. It's the same political process that prevents a Marriage Protection Act even though most Americans are in favor of one. In my opinion, politicians go to such extremes to recognize the rights of minorities that many times they completely disregard the will of the majority.

As for Bush's approval rating, I think that anyone's would be low right now with rising energy prices, corporate scandals and downsizing, and, of course, the war. I'll agree that his arrogance adds to it, but does it get any more arrogant than John Kerry?

Shannon - This country has been so lenient on immigration for so long that any steps to correct the problem will be resisted. And anyone that proposed change will be considered a racist.

The little man is doing well. Thanks for asking!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]