Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Observations From The Maternity Ward...

The nurses and doctors in the maternity ward of Women and Infant's Hospital are really amazing people. They are all so specialized in what they do, be it pre-natal care, delivery room care, anesthesia, or post partum care. Even the staff that bring the meals and clean the room were great. It's the parents and visitors, and the ward itself that were quite interesting to me.

When we checked into the hospital that morning, there was another couple that came in just after us for an appointment to induce labor. We were brought up into the birthing room which we were told was the best in the hospital because it was a large corner room with a great view of Providence. How cool was that! When I went to get a coke, I walked by the husband of the other couple who was berating the nurse because his wife had "reserved" that room, and it was instead given to us. She told the guy that this was not, in fact, the Ritz Carlton Providence, and they did not accept "reservations" for rooms.

I went back out to the car to get my wife's bags and saw the most disturbing site I have ever witnessed. There was a woman in a hospital gown standing behind the rain barrier that they put up for smokers with one hand on her IV dolly and the other holding her cancer stick. It was about 30 degrees out there, and I assume that she had given birth within the past few hours. OMG what a grip smokes have on some people!

The second day in the room, a woman comes in with an envelope and asks if my wife had a C-Section or a vaginal birth. I told her it was vaginal and she told me to put $17 in the envelope and leave it at the nurses station for the television usage. Huh? Let's see if I have this right. The medical care, food, cleaning service and pain medication all go on a bill that my insurance company will get, but I need to pay cash for the television? At least the parking was free.

This one is not a complaint by any measure. Shortly after my son was born, they put a Martha Stewart-esque bracelet around his ankle, a baby lo-jack, if you will. It was a little strange to see that, but very reassuring.

I don't know how to say this better, but there were an awful lot of ugly little babies in the nursery. Now, mine might be really hideous and I'd never really know it because he is so beautiful to me, but some of these kids looked like the south end of a north-bound mule. Mis-shaped heads, blotchy skin, weird hair patterns, etc... Scary!

There was a chair that converted into a "bed" in my wife's room. I assumed that it was for the father to sleep in while at the hospital, but when I tried to do that, I learned that it was actually a Medieval torture device designed to mimic the pains of childbirth for the father. I nearly stole my wife's codeine when she was sleeping.

Comments:
ok now you are killing me here....you try being the size of a watermelon coming through a lemon hole and see if your not butt ass ugly...bwhahahaha...17.00 for TV ugh no they would have just had to cut me off that is ridiculous. My kids had the sensor on their umbilical cord by the belly button
 
They charge you and charge cash for that matter to watch tv? Is it a different price for c-sections and vaginal. I wouldn't have paid it. What if you didn't have cash?
 
I would feel sorry for you for having to sleep on the convertible chair thingy (they had those in my hospital, too) but I was too busy remembering how I couldn't walk and the doctor thought I dislocated my hip after birthing my 10 lb. 2 oz baby.
 
Greta - You were an ugly baby, weren't you Greta? As for the TV, they came in on the second day, after we had been already watching it for a full day.
Shannon - I was impressed by the security at the hospital. All their guards are trained in carseat installation as well, and they check every one when mother and baby are discharged.

Sonya - It was $34 for a C-Section because the hospital stay was longer. If you didn't leave the cash, they somehow added the charge to your home phone bill.

Ubie - 10-2?
*shivers*
I'll quit my complaining now. Thanks for the reality check.
 
Isn't it a miracle?
 
It's okay. She's medium sized now. Even if she does poo blue occasionally.
 
That is so strange.
 
Daddy Flounder!
 
weird, i cant figure out the tv/cash thing..what tha? heh
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]