Tuesday, March 28, 2006

I'm Back

What a ride the past 12 days have been! I've been a little busy taking care of Mrs Flounder and Jake, but reinforcements have arrived and I have a few minutes to post something. It feels good not to be speaking baby-talk or in that "don't upset my wife" tone, even if it is through a keyboard.

We came home from the hospital on the Saturday after Jake was born, and it was the longest night of my entire life. This kid would not stop screaming, though he was not hungry, wet, or apparently tired. I honestly had no idea what was wrong with him and my daddy-senses had not yet kicked in. Then, I noticed a pattern. He would fall asleep for a few minutes, then fart and wake up screaming. The gas! The gas was making him scream! And they have a magic potion for that called Mylicon! And somebody had gotten us a baby first aid kit at the shower that contained a bottle of Mylicon! One half dropper-ful and ten minutes later, the kid is out! Aaah, and sweet slumber for mom & dad!

On Monday, we had his first doctor appointment, and he looked a little jaundice. The doctor sent us to get a blood test, and his bilirubin levels were high, so the doctor told us to put him in a window to get some sunlight. Long story short, he had a blood test everyday last week and Sunday before finally being cleared. It was hell listening to him scream every time they pricked his little foot, but I am sure he has forgotten it already.

Grandma Flounder and Aunt Lele came to visit on Saturday, and grandma is staying for the week. This presents a bit of a challenge for Mrs Flounder, but she is doing remarkably well. Grandpa Flounder will be here tomorrow, so that should be a sufficient distraction for grandma.

They came bearing gifts as well, the best of which were subs from the White House. (More to come on those) Let's just say crazy delicious!

Well, that's all for now. I'll be posting fairly regularly again, so I look forward to hearing from each of you. Thanks again for all of your prayers and well-wishes. We greatly appreciated each and every one of them.

Comments:
Flounder glad you are back and Jake is doing well. Have you returned to work yet? How is momma Flounder doing? Enjoy the time with your parents while they are there to help. I'm sure you are about to experience alot of new stuff. Please post, so we can live through you.
 
Ah, the Mylicon. I give it to EVERYONE who has a baby, because that shit's expensive.

Like, 10 bucks for that little bottle.

Because they know you'll pay it. You'll pay ANYTHING.

I think more babies are jaundice than not. I think both of mine were. They scare you, but it never turns out to be anything serious.

Also: you can (well, not YOU, but Mrs. Flounder) can breastfeed and use bottles. They scare you about that, too. They scare you about everything, but they forget to tell you about the damn Mylicon.
 
Sonya - I go back to work next Monday, for a little while at least. Layoffs are starting, so it may be a short-lived return. Stay tuned...

Ubie - I went to BJ's hoping that would have a small keg of that stuff, but no luck. My wife is breast feeding and pumping as well. I'll be posting about the pump soon, too. (Grrrrr)
 
mylicon saved us too! and my son was also jaundice and needed sunlight. You sound like you're going to be a great dad.
 
aww gas sucks ...both of mine suffered from gas until i got the formula right..your doing a great job and no offense but kiss mrs flounder for me b/c she is going to need it with a new baby and the grandma...sheesh i am prayeing hard for her..i'd be eating zoloft left and right...hehehehe
 
All I saw in this post was blah blah blah....SUBS!!
 
Good to hear from you again and to know all is well. What a sweet name too, I like the name Jake. :)
 
My brother has become a new father recently and from what I'm told, the gas is quite common, so is the myriad of other scares they've had. Stay cool! :)
 
BJ - I'm just trying to be a dad right now. I'll work on hte great part later.

Greta - She is doing well, although my mother thinks that she knows more about our son than we do, and that starts problems.

Brooke - They brought up 5 whole subs just for me. I gave out two of them to some of my boys and ripped through the remaining three in three days. I haven't eaten anything but them since they arrived.

Tina - Everyone says "Jake is a strong name", and this little guy is really strong, so it fits. He holds his head up really well and has the kung-fu grip.

CB - I've nicknamed him Exxon because I am convinced that he currently produces the most gas in the United States.
 
THere is NOTHING more exhausting in life than the 1st 6 weeks with a new baby. Hang in there...
 
TOFK - The kid is downright volatile. That's why I think God made him so cute.

KJ - Thanks for stopping by! Trust me, he looks like mom.

NG - You just made my day by stopping by. I almost cried when I saw your "closed" sign.
 
You're so sweet. I'm not gone. Just having blog issues. Regardless, I'm still lingering in Blog Land ;)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]