Friday, February 17, 2006

Put Me In Coach!

Oh, put me in, coach - I’m ready to play today
Put me in, coach - I’m ready to play today
Look at me, I can be centerfield.


Four little words. That’s all that they are to most people. But these are four little words that I have been waiting to hear since October 7th, when the Red Sox season came to an end. Four little words which remind you that hope springs eternal.

Pitchers and catchers report.

Tomorrow is the beginning of Red Sox Spring Training 2006, the beginning of a grueling seven-month marathon that will hopefully end in a world championship. There are many new faces in Beantown this year, and there were a few defections as well, but as always, Red Sox Nation is keeping the faith.

I just love spring training. Mainly because of the “spring” part, and I know that the winter is almost over. But there is also the re-awakening part that gets to me.

Well, beat the drum and hold the phone - the sun came out today!
We’re born again, there’s new grass on the field.
A-roundin’ third, and headed for home, it’s a brown-eyed handsome man
Anyone can understand the way I feel.

It also serves as a reminder that my softball season is about to begin. I am a player coach for one of my church’s two softball teams, and we have our first game April 22nd, so I need to get my big ass in shape for playing. I considered not playing or coaching this year because I knew that I would have limited time and money with the baby coming along, but Mrs. Flounder has really encouraged me to play. (I think that she just wants to show off the baby to the other wives, but that’s cool.)

Got a beat-up glove, a homemade bat, and brand-new pair of shoes
You know I think it’s time to give this game a ride
Just to hit the ball and touch ’em all - a moment in the sun
it’s gone and you can tell that one goodbye!

I think that I will buy my son a glove today. Hey, it’s never too early to cultivate a child’s love for the great game of baseball.

***This is not a sports blog. Really, it's not!


Comments:
I like baseball --- I was really into it in the early 90's and was a Cubs Fan then ---- we have the Nationals now.......have yet to see a game yet -- just because the Stadium is not the best end of town.

Have a good weekend
 
PPP - They had a nice season last year and should be getting a new stadium any time now. I think that all baseball fans have just a little bit of Cub fan in them.
 
All we have here is minor league
ball!
 
So you are saying I can say goodbye to my husband for the next 8-9 months?
He is a huge Sox fan.
 
Have you ever seen "Fever Pitch"? Are you as addicted as that guy? LOL!
 
Twisted - No problem there. All baseball is good baseball.

Mac - Cheer up sweetie. It's Friday and you are probably going to have a better weekend than anyone should be allowed to have. Go Sox is right!

TG - That is exactly what I am saying dear.

Sonya - I've never seen the movie, but I am a baseball addict. i really love the game. It's one of the few things in life that is perfect, actually.
 
I'm not a huge sports fan now, but I did play alot growing up

CYO Softball
CYO Swimming
Touch football (League)
CYO Soccer

But I was younger then and more ....well, I was just younger then..... :)
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]