Wednesday, February 15, 2006

Let The Games Begin


I know that the Olympics started on Friday night in Torino, but to me, the only sport worth watching starts today. No, not figure skating, ladies. I'm talking about men's ice hockey. Now granted, there will never be the drama of 1980's Miracle on Ice team ever again because we no longer send amateur players to compete against the big bad Russian professionals, but the sport is pure magic to watch on this level.

Today at 3pm EST, team USA takes on Latvia in game one of the preliminary round of competition. We all know that team USA is comprised mostly of NHL players, but I was surprised to find that Latvia has a few as well, like Arturs Irbe and Sandish Ozolinsh.

Four years ago, team USA made it to the Gold Medal game and lost to Canada 5-2. I was unable to watch that game because my wife and I were attending a marriage conference with our church in Newport, RI. That is why I have come to the following conclusions: Team USA will make it to the gold medal game again on 2/26. Knowing just how bad I will want to watch that game, my wife will go into labor that day.

One last comment on hockey. There is no way that Peter Forsberg should be playing in these games. He has missed so many games for the Flyers because of a groin injury that he shouldn't risk re-aggravating it by playing for Sweden. After all, the Flyers are paying him $6 million a year, and more importantly, I want my Stanley Cup parade down Broad Street dammit!

***UPDATE - End of the first period, USA 2, Latvia 1

Comments:
GO USA -- this is the only part of the Olympics I watch as well. I love hockey.
 
I was looking over the roster, and I can't believe that Chris Chelios is playing. He was on the 1984 Olympic team, for God's sake!
 
There is one team I despise in the NHL and that would be the Redwings - I just don't like them

Go Flyer, Caps and Rangers lol
 
I haven't really followed the olympics so far. Does that make me a bad American?

Anyway, Happy Hump Day! How was your V-day?
 
You can guess what team I'll be cheering for. Though if I had to pick a second it would probably be Team U.S.A.

And with Ryan Smith in front of the net and Pronger on the point, I'm looking hoping from some Oiler contributions to the Team Canada tally.

(You know, I hardly ever see the Flyers out here - especially with the way the NHL has the schedules now.)
 
You know, I always spell Ryan Smyth's name wrong.
 
PPP - I hate the Rangers more than any other professional sports team. Period.

Sonya - Yes, that makes you a bad, bad American. Now go and watch some curling.

Mac - That's all you got? I thought for sure that you would have a hot hockey opinion.

Bill - Canada should win it all, but I'll still be pulling for the US of A. I'd like to see Finland do well too because the Flyer's goalie Nittimaki is their goalie.
 
flounder: Eric Lindros is my future ex husband lol yes Im sure you hate him as well... most people do but he is so fine to look at lol
 
Flounder - I just learned what curling was last week. LOL! I thouhght it was curling bar bells are something. Cool me blonde.
 
PPP - I was a huge Lindros fan, when he was a Flyer. Rumor has it that he was schtooping Rod Brind'amour's wife, and that is why Rod got traded out of Philly.

Sonya - It's basically shuffleboard on ice. I watched women's curling today, and I am hooked.
 
Flounder - thanks for being my educator. LOL!
 
Flounder, my friend was trying to find an olympic hockey update yesterday and I sent her to your blog. You were very helpful for her. She couldn't comment cuz she isn't a blogger. =(
 
I could try to write something here that would make it seem like I knew what I was talking about, but......... I have no clue about hockey !....I DO like ice skating though !! ;)
 
Let's hope for a post February 27th labor. Go team!
 
Sonya - Oh, I could teach you things...

Shannon - Hells yes I'm a Flyer fan. I went to the last Cup parade in '75, and sat on my dad's shoulders as Bobby Clarke went by on a float.

Spy - It's always nice to see you stopping by.

Egan - Amen brother.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]