Thursday, February 23, 2006

Eureka!

Well, inspiration comes in strange places, and tonight was no exception. I was riding down the road with Mrs. Flounder and the song "Roxanne" came on the radio. I started thinking about what a great song that was and how great The Police were. Then I started thinking just how much Sting, or at least his music, sucks now. Then this thought came to me - Is there anything more sad than seeing greatness or potential for greatness fade away? I think not.

I have a few examples of this, starting with Sting and The Police. I saw The Police on their last tour at the Atlantic City Convention Hall in 1984. I had to camp out overnight on the boardwalk for tickets, and it was well worth it. It was my first concert, and it was truly spectacular. I was a huge fan of the band and had all of their albums (some on 8-track), and knew every song by heart. By Christmas that year, the band broke up. I was devastated.

The following year, Sting released his first solo album, "The Dream of the Blue Turtles", and it was pretty good. But it was nothing like the music that The Police produced. Now, 20 years later, I can't even listen to a Sting song without wanting to puke! How could someone completely forget what made them great in the first place?

There was a time when the most feared person on the planet was Mike Tyson. He would come into the ring wearing black trunks and shoes with a cut-out towel across his body, and within seconds, unleash hell on his opponent. I mean nobody wanted a piece of this guy. I went to the Tyson - Spinks fight in Atlantic City and missed the whole 91-second bout because I was getting a beer at the concession stand. That's what a bad-ass this guy was. Then came the rape conviction, Don King, and the ear biting. On June 11, 2005, Tyson quit boxing before the start of the seventh round in a bout against some guy named Kevin McBride. Greatness disappeared once again.

Then there was the great left-handed pitcher in my high school named BC. This kid threw fastballs better than 90 mph in high school, and was drafted by the Phillies. He decided to go to college where he couldn't get along with the coach. Then he transferred to another college where he couldn't get along with the coach. The Phillies no longer wanted him. He never played professional baseball. I think he plays in a beer softball league on summer nights in Jersey. I'm sure that I will see him next year at the 20th reunion and want to cry.

I know that there are countless other examples that I can give, but I don't want to bore you to death. Feel free to share one with me if you'd like, or comment on these.

Comments:
Never really thought of that but you are right..thanks for shining some light on that...I HATE MIKE TYSON...didn't like him then and damn sure don't like him now
 
I used to be a huge fan of the Police and Sting, but once he went into the Amazon, he lost his edge. Nothing was quite right again except Desert Rose.
 
Greta - Back in the day, Tyson was THE man. You just knew that the guy was something special, like him or not. But somewhere along the way, he completely derailed and turned into the freak that he is today. It's really tragic.

CB - Is there a better debut album by anyone than Outlandos D'Amour? Whenever I need an adrenaline boost, I just listen to "So Lonely" and rock out!
 
Never was a big fan of the police, sure they had a few songs that were ok.
I always thought Sting sucked. That has to be the worst kind of music ever.

Mike Tyson damn it sure was sad to see him fall like that, I loved watching him kick ass.
 
I had 2 guy friends that went to jail in H.S. The one said the other one was so drunk he was yelling out singing ROXANNE and he could hear him from the opposite end of the jail. Now everytime I hear that song I picture them two in jail.
 
Tyson is such a sad case. And don't forget that god awful face tattoo and I think he did something weird to his teeth. That boy is not right.
 
Twisted - Watching Tyson now is like watching the Rolling Stones try and belt out "Satisfaction". Just plain sad.

Sonya - I think that they saw "48 Hours" one too many times.

Babyjewels - That tat is just plain scary, like Tyson himself.

Mac - Come on! I wasn't that bad, was I?
 
That is exactly where the got it from.
 
Greatness dies when people start believing they are great. Confidence is great but when your ego starts getting larger than your abilities you lose it.
 
I blame it on the tantric sex. I think his energy is directed elsewhere.
 
Oh yes...nostalgic and about all things great from the 80s ...that is me ;) I love the Police....still play the CD in my car. I try to keep up with Sting when I can...saw a documentary on him 2 years ago ..it was awesome.

I'll have to put a Police song up on my blog for ya ;)
 
OMG- Sychronicity was my FIRST cassette tape EVER. I still love Murder By Numbers. Is that evil? ha ha
 
How was your weekend?
 
Flounder ?
 
Never fear, I'm still alive...

DB - Very true indeed, and that is exactly what happened to Sting. People need to remember what got them to where they are and stick to that.

Bill - Excellent point, but being tantric never derailed me.

Shannon - The problem with TO is that he overestimates just how good he is. He'll be playing for Bon Jovi's team before long.

Tina - Pre-Synchronicity, please.

NG - It sucked that "Murder By Numbers" was not on the album, only on the cassette. I had to buy both and was pissed for forking out the extra dough.

Mac - You know what they say about an old dog...

Mac2 - Who saw that coming? I mean really!

Sonya - You will see tomorrow...

CH - Yes?
 
Quit playing football and come play with us. LOL!
 
Happy Fat Tuesday!
 
Happy Hump Day!
 
I love Flounder.
 
I feel so special now that Brooke has stopped by!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]