Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Home, Sweet Home


After a great weekend at home with family for Christmas, it was nice to get back home. Every time I go down there, I remember that the Jersey shore is a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there again.

Not that I have anything against the place where I grew up, in fact, I feel just the opposite. I truly love it down there, but the reality of the present never meets my expectations that have developed from past experiences. I know that area has changed over the years, and I am sure that I have changed, too. But going back there really slaps me in the face with all of those changes, and I do not like change. Not even a little.

Comments:
Change is good. Remember that.

And belated happy birthday!

And belated merry Christmas!

And early happy new year!
 
Some change is good, but not all. Lower taxes, good! Maloney's closing, not good. The Flyers getting Peter Forsberg, good! The Flyers wearing black jerseys, not good. Starting a blog, good! "Alias" being cancelled, not good. See what I mean?

Thank you!

And thank you!

And, right back at you, babe!
 
There's no place like home...there's no place like home...

It's raining now and the ocean absolutely reeks. I love it.

By the way, did you drive by Maloney's? How depressing.
 
Every time I visit mom, I open all the windows on my truck as soon as I hit the mile stretch, just so I can suck in the wonderful salty air. It may be my favorite smell. Funny how I took something like that for granted when I lived there. The Buffet song "Tin Cup Chalice" always reminds me of home. Check out the lyrics... (http://margaritaville.com/lyrics_a1a.php)

As for Maloney's, I just couldn't bring myself to go down there and see the carnage. I tried to keep this trip on the happy side, you know?
 
I feel the same when we leave something we love and maintain that image of its perfection in mind, only to return and see it in a different eye.
 
Right on, Chicky. You nailed it. It's rare that anything is ever as good as it once was. Actually, it was probably never as good as we remember it.

Wait, that's a little too deep for me.
 
Happy New Year to you!
 
Merry New Year Flounder. Enjoy your fat, drunk, and stupid new year.

Have I told you that is one of my all-time favorite lines from a movie?
 
Call me lame if you must, but I rang in the new year by watching Animal House last night on AMC, right after The Blues Brothers. Damn I'm getting old!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]